Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Monday and Tuesday

No blog on Monday. We were late getting back to hotel from dinner and had to move rooms because of the a/c. Monday we took a boat out to the Great Barrier Reef. The Reef we stopped at was the Moore Reef. We were about 1 1/2 hours going out to the pontoon, after stopping at Fitzroy Island to drop off some people. The large boat was tied up to the pontoon that is anchored in the water. We took a ride in a glass bottomed boat and then went in a sdubmarine type boat. The reef was beautiful. Saw lots of fish. Had a great buffet lunch. Back by 5:30pm. Went into town for dinner at an Irish pub!!
Today we were going to have a rest and go on another tour tomorrow but we woke to news that a cyclone is bearing down on Cairns. It is expected in 24 hours. Our tour is cancelled for Wednesday, also our train to Brisbane that was scheduled for Thursday has been postponed until Saturday. It may not leave then, so we are going to try and get a flight. The airport is closed and they are moving people out of the low lying areas. We are safe in the hotel. They have generators if the power is out and will have lots of food on hand to feed the guests. Most of the guests here were supposed to leave but the hotel is putting everyone up for as long as it takes. The wind is supposed to start at 8am tomorrow and we will be watching from the inside. They have closed most shops in town early and taped the windows. Some have brought in sandbags because they expect lots of water too. We are safe and will let you know how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment